The content marketing landscape of 2022 continues to grow in complexity, focusing on customer experience and strategy.
To navigate this space, your organization must prioritize content strategy and optimizing your content processes.
In this article, we will share key insights from the Semrush Global State of Content Marketing 2022 Report.
New in 2022: Top 3 Content Marketing Trends for This Year
One of the top content marketing trends for 2022 is a focus on becoming more human.
Optimizing your content for search engines and reader experience is essential.
It’s essential to improve the overall quality of your content and personalize the readers’ experience.
Another content trend for 2022 is targeting.
Content marketers should focus on making decisions about what content to create based on their target audience research.
As you research your target audience, learn their wants and needs, especially around search intent and content consumption.
B2B and B2C brands should experiment with more types of content to target specific audiences.
Expand beyond blog posts and look at short form video content to see increased traffic from search and viewer engagement.
It is also important to set measurable goals which can be reviewed regularly.
This will ensure that your brand’s content strategy will produce the desired results.
Brands that achieve their goals approach content marketing strategically.
Strategy and planning go into every decision in the content marketing process, from ideation to promotion.
New in 2022: Tactics for Successful Content Marketing Strategy
Do you know what efforts will lead to the best results?
According to our report, here are the top tactics that have led to content marketing success:
- Improve the quality of our content (55%).
- Search engine optimization (46%).
- Create more video and visual content (41%).
Here are some tips on how to optimize your content for increased visibility in search engine results and a better reading experience:
- Create a headline that tells readers what to expect.
- Tell a story with your title tags.
- Add links to relevant content on your website.
- Add links to relevant external resources that help the reader navigate between your advice and action.
- Maintain a consistent and relevant tone of voice.
- Improve overall readability using tools like the SEO Writing Assistant.
- Focus on providing useful content and original research. This is the only way to differentiate yourself from the growing competition.
New in 2022: This year’s top content marketing goals
Creating goals for your marketing campaigns is an essential step in ensuring their success.
The top three key content marketing goals measured by content marketers include:
- Increase brand awareness (45%).
- Drive more traffic to our website (37%).
- Lead generation (36%).
Here are some ways to increase brand awareness through content marketing:
- Create unbranded searchable content to capture the attention of people who don’t know your brand but are looking for more information on a relevant topic.
- Post on other websites in your industry that already have a large readership that matches your target audience.
- Diversify your content through blog posts, videos, podcasts, webinars, white papers, case studies, and more. This will allow you to capture audiences at all stages of the buyer journey.
New in 2022: Key areas of content marketing investment for this year
How do companies plan to invest in content marketing?
Content marketing budgets for 2022 will be used for the following areas of the content process:
- Build a community on social media (41%).
- Improve the quality of written content (40%).
- Increase content promotion and distribution (40%).
To increase the quality of your written content, make sure that:
- Your content is original.
- Your content answers a question that your target audience asks frequently.
- Your content was created with a specific intent or purpose.
- Your content has strong titles.
New in 2022: Top Google Searches for Content Marketing
Here are the top five searches on Google related to content marketing:
- Examples of content marketing.
- Content marketing strategy.
- Content Marketing Institute.
- Definition of content marketing.
- Content Marketing Manager.
You can see the importance of content marketing growing. This means your competitors are likely advancing their content marketing strategies.
Use this research as inspiration to learn more about content marketing and see — first-hand — how search should play a role in your 2022 content strategy.
In these SERPs, you will begin to understand how people, including yourself, consume content on Google.
You will also be able to see the wide range of content types used to help teach people who want to learn more about content marketing.
Both SEJ and Semrush have a variety of content marketing examples that you can use as inspiration for your own content strategy. They include blog posts, e-books, podcasts, webinars, and videos.